By JD Heyes
Article Source

Exclusive video that was obtained by the Austin American-Statesman and KVUE shows mass chaos and confusion inside and outside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24, as well as the chaotic first moments as the recent massacre of 19 children and two adults began to unfold.

The video begins by showing the suspected killer crashing his vehicle into a ditch near the school before getting out and apparently taking his first shots at two people who appear to be police officers approaching his vehicle. He then takes aim and fires directly at the school.

Next, a female teacher is then heard yelling, “The kids are running! Oh my God … Get down! Get in your room! Get in your rooms!” 

The video clips also include audio of when shots are first fired at the school from outside the building.

From there, the killer is seen entering the school at 11:33 a.m. At one point, a young student comes around a hallway and sees the shooter but the shooter does not see the student.

Caption in the video informs viewers that the shooter then began to open fire inside two classrooms, where the shooting continued for two and a half minutes. The video explains that more than 100 shots were fired. That particular footage, however, has been removed from the video, as well as screams from the children.

The shots are not eliminated from the soundtrack, however.

Then, at 11:36 a.m., just three minutes later, officers are seen inside the school. At least three of the officers rush toward the classrooms while several others hang back. But after they heard shots, the officers retreat to another hallway, the video appears to show.

More officers arrive, but even by 12:09 p.m., not a single rescue attempt has been made, the video notes in a caption.


Steve McCraw, the director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, confirmed that nine officers were inside the building within three minutes of the attack. He has also been extremely critical of the officers’ actions as well as those of the on-scene commander who reportedly issued orders for police to wait.

“There’s compelling evidence that the law enforcement response to the attack at Robb Elementary was an abject failure and antithetical to everything we’ve learned over the last two decades since the Columbine massacre,” he said during testimony before a state Senate committee last month.

“Three minutes after the subject entered the West building, there was sufficient number of armed officers wearing body armor to isolate, distract, and neutralize the subject,” McCraw added.

“The only thing stopping the hallway of dedicated officers from entering room 111 and 112 was the on-scene commander who decided to place the lives of officers before the lives of children,” McCraw continued.

“One error; 14 minutes and eight seconds,” the director said of the young students waiting in a classroom for police to save them. At one point, he noted, officers were waiting for a “key that was not needed.”

“I have great reasons to believe it was never secured,” he told the state Senate panel. “How about trying the door and seeing if it’s locked?”

“Obviously, not enough training was done in this situation, plain and simple. Because terrible decisions were made by the on-site commander,” McCraw criticized.

Many parents have blasted the police response as well.

The Austin American-Statesman adds:

Even after hearing at least four additional shots from the classrooms 45 minutes after police arrived on the scene, the officers waited.

They asked for keys to one of the classrooms. (It was unlocked, investigators said later.) They brought tear gas and gas masks. They later carried a sledgehammer. And still, they waited.

If anything, this sad, sorry episode proves that ultimately, Americans are responsible for their own safety.

Sources include: